In no particular order…

Here’s what I’ve been up to lately!

Lining session on a mermaid addition to a nautical themed sleeve

Lining session on a mermaid addition to a nautical themed sleeve

First session on the frost reaper half sleeve, not my design

First session on the frost reaper half sleeve, not my design

Korean dog tag for granddad

Korean dog tag for granddad

First session on a freehand cover-up... I still have a few more hours to go on this

First session on a freehand cover-up… I still have a few more hours to go on this

More detail on the cover-up

More detail on the cover-up

Tools for dad... a touch distorted due to swelling and the location of the body (shoulder blade)

Tools for dad… a touch distorted due to swelling and the location of the body (shoulder blade)

A little Queen fan art... I have always loved the News of the World album cover, so I thought I would try my hand at recreating it

A little Queen fan art… I have always loved the News of the World album cover, so I thought I would try my hand at recreating it

Birds and roses for her kids and hubby on Kelly (who used to let me practice on her as an apprentice)

Birds and roses for her kids and hubby on Kelly (who used to let me practice on her as an apprentice)

Script walk-in "Family"

Script walk-in “Family”

Cover art for my band's (The Loveless) upcoming album... loosely based on a Don Ed Hardy flash design of the same name

Cover art for my band’s (The Loveless) upcoming album… loosely based on a Don Ed Hardy flash design of the same name

Rework of an old Legend of Zelda tattoo

Rework of an old Legend of Zelda tattoo

Custom drawn maneki neko Hello Kitty

Custom drawn maneki neko Hello Kitty

 

As always, thanks for stopping by!!!

Oh, baby…

Here’s a little practice I finished about a week and a half to two weeks ago.  I tried to stay on the realistic side with the infant skull, while poking around in the realm of color alteration whilst doing so.  The lilies I kept more basic and a bit more illustrative, so as not to draw too much attention away from the  main focus.

I chose to do a fetal/infant skull this time because I found it’s impact to be a bit stronger than your normal adult skull and I found its extra cracks and crevices to be extremely interesting to work with.  Beyond that, I can’t say that I have seen a lot of art involving them.  The lilies were used because, quite frankly, I was tired of using roses and wanted to branch out in a different direction.

Enough rambling.

Thanks for stopping by!

 

 

Take two…

Here’s another attempt at a black and gray skull.  I think it turned out pretty decent.  There are, naturally, a few areas that I don’t like and a few things that I feel could be improved.  Same layout and method as the previous one, although this time I really tried to focus on more contrast and depth, creating more mid-tones and highlights.

 

 

 

It’s interesting to see the difference in my art within just a few months.  I am curious to see where I will be a year from now…

Thanks for stopping by!

First attempt…

Here’s my first attempt at playing around with black and gray shading in a realistic manner.  It was interesting to do so without any solid lines, instead relying solely on shading edges darker.  I used tracing paper over the top of a picture of a model skull, to establish where I wanted shadows and varying values. From there, I taped the tracing paper to another sheet and used the photo as reference, adding in my own texture and removing teeth as I saw necessary.

Thanks for stopping by!

 

  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new Barbarino goodness!

    Join 929 other followers

  • Justin B on Instagram!!!

    There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.